This chicken sausage patty recipes has made the rounds — but that’s because it’s really that good!
I make a batch of these, cook them, and freeze them with waxed paper between them. Then, if I’m hungry for a breakfast sandwich I just pull one out of the freezer and reheat it in the microwave and add it to my sandwich!
Using all white meat ground chicken also keeps the health stats on this one rather good: 1 (1 oz) patty only has 40.9 calories, 1.2 grams of fat, but still 6.6 grams of protein! Score!
Breakfast Sausage Patties
**Makes 16 1-oz. patties, or 8 2-oz. patties
1 lb. ground chicken
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
heaping 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
about 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 garlic clove, finely mincced or pressed
1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup (the real deal folks — not Aunt Jemima!)
2-3 tsp. olive oil
- Lightly mix all ingredients except the oil together until the herbs/spices are well incorporated – make sure you don’t over mix
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts, and then make 4 (or 2, for 2-oz. patties) patties from each part.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and add 1 tsp. of oil.
- Put 1/3 or 1/2 of the patties (depending how big your pan is and how much space your patties take up) into the pan and cook about 2 minutes per side or until browned and cooked through.
-Repeat with the next 1-2 batches, adding an additional teaspoon of olive oil per batch.
- Cool patties and wrap in waxed paper, place in a zip top bag and freeze. To eat, remove from freezer and reheat in microwave (it doesn’t take long….30 seconds to a minute?)
*Ground chicken breast will make a leaner patty, but dark (or a mixture of white and dark) meat will make a tastier patty. Nutritional information for both is as follows:
Using all white meat (per 1 oz. patty, using 3 tsp. oil): Calories: 40.9 / Fat: 1.2g / Saturated Fat: 0.2g / Carbs: 0.6g / Fiber: 0.1g / Protein: 6.6g
Using dark meat (per 1 oz. patty, using 3 tsp. oil): Calories: 52 / Fat: 3.6g / Saturated Fat: 1.0g / Carbs: 0.6g / Fiber: 0.1g / Protein: 5.2g